Tuesday, September 9, 2014

colourQ 258

Tuesday means a brand new color palette reveal at colourQ. This week our colors are inspired by this lamp shade.  I was struck by the subtle differences in the yellows of this palette and knew that I wanted those to be the focal point of my card.



The first two times I tried to make a card for this challenge resulted in what can only be described as a "hot mess."  I had attempted an artsy watercolor background with a floral stamp and what I got was a giant blob of indiscriminate color.  I tried to fix it by trying the whole thing all over again and what I got was a slightly less giant blob of indiscriminate color.  What I took away from this experience is that watercoloring is hard work, that I need to practice more, and that I need to win the lottery so that I can stay home every day and master techniques such as these. 

For this card I took some inspiration from the Cardabilities sketch although I'm sure my little CAS design is not what they are used to seeing over there!  But I loved the lines of the sketch and thought I'd adapt it to my own style.


These gorgeous colourQ colors are sure to inspire you so I hope you can play along with us this week.  As usual our design team have some beauties for you to see so hop on over there to check them out!

Thanks for stopping by!

Stamps:  Kinda Eclectic, Secret Garden (SU); Hashtags (Tim Holtz)
Paper:  Classic White (Flourishes); Hello Honey, Smoky Slate, So Saffron (SU); Strathmore watercolor paper
Ink:  So Saffron, Hello Honey, Smoky Slate, Blackberry Bliss (SU)
Accessories: Burlap Stencil, Bracket die (Tim Holtz); Basic Pearl (SU)

9 comments:

Karren said...

Third time lucky - although attempt #2 was pretty cool in my opinion. I love how you've used the yellows in this card.

Tracey McNeely said...

Jen this is gorgeous, I love the banner shape!

Claire said...

Wouldn't we all like to win the lottery and spend our days perfecting our techniques Jen! You've nailed the background....a perfect blend of the yellows - gorgeous!

Deepti said...

Wow !! Lovely inking, a see a winner here :)

Lisa Elton said...

I adore your pretty buttery yellow background! Pretty pretty card Jen!

Kim Heggins said...

Jen, this card is just stunning. I love how you took these beautiful colors and turned them into an even more beautiful card.

Kim S said...

That fading yellow background is truly gorgeous - and so perfect with the pop of gray and blackberry.

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

I love the finished effect of your background Jen - perfect for the other elements to shine. I wish I had your talent!

Narelle Farrugia said...

Oh my - look at that background! Just gorgeous Jen!