Saturday, December 10, 2011

Friday Mashup 36 and Sketchbook Saturday 41

Yesterday I thought I was done making Christmas cards.  My stamp room is overflowing with them and I'm totally fine if I don't see another poinsettia, snowflake, wreath or what have you until next year.  But then the challenge this week at The Friday Mashup included snowmen, which got me thinking about the cute guys in Snow Much Fun, which got me thinking that I could maybe do one more Christmas card.  For old times sake and all.


The challenge was to make a card with a snowman, and/or make a card using the colors Blushing Bride, Baja Breeze and Basic Gray.  I definitely planned on using the colors, but I really wasn't sure about the snowman owing to my previously mentioned aversion to all things Christmas.  But the more I looked at this adorable graphic, the more I realized that the dudes from Snow Much Fun deserved one last hurrah.

So then I went over to Chupa's blog and checked out her latest Sketchbook Saturday sketch and, combining the two challenges, sat down to get all inky.



Actually getting inky for this card was not all that easy.  I had a hard time translating what was in my brain to what was appearing on my card and I almost scrapped the whole thing.  But I took a short break and by the time I got back in my stamp room I managed to settle down and create this.  It actually has a nice clean look to it that I like and the colors are great together.

I've been experimenting with the custom white balance setting on my camera to {hopefully} help me get a better picture of a card that has a lot of white in it.  I took a picture of this card with the automatic white balance then again with a custom setting and I can actually see a difference.  It is far from perfect, but I plan to keep experimenting with it until I get something I'm really satisfied with.

Thanks for stopping by!

9 comments:

Kim P said...

Jen, I am so glad you did the challenge again this week! Your card looks great (as always!) and your snowman must be thrilled that you gave him another chance! I like the twine detail, and how you colored your image! Great to see you at the Friday Mashup!!

Aileen said...

The soft colours with your snowman look really great. Love the twine and shadow around Mr Snowman. x

Iwona Palamountain (Chupa) said...

Gorgeous card, Jen! I LOVE that cool shade of blue and a touch of pink!

hollybeary creations said...

I'm glad you decided to make one more Christmas card this is adorable!! I love how you colored the snowman image and used the sketch with the colors. Thanks for joining us at the Friday Mashup.

Kasey ~ in Oz said...

Hi Jen, nice to see you playing along with us this week. Cute card, that's one debonaire snowman!

Cheers,
Kasey ~ in Oz
Friday Mashup DT

Erna Logtenberg said...

such a cute card Jen! I love that snowman... I don't have him at myself, sadly enough :-(

Lisa said...

Love your snowman, he is gorgeous! I also really like the clean lines of this card and the polka dot background is just perfect.

I hear ya on the white balance! I am constantly fooling with mine, especially this time of year when we only have 5 hrs of daylight. It makes it interesting to get a decent pic of my crafts.

Thanks for playing along with us at The Friday Mashup!

Rita W said...

Jen, I'm so glad you finished this one because it looks amazing! I've given up on getting good pictures this time of year...well, any time of year really. lol I really need to get that photography class on my schedule!

Sue said...

Realy cute snowman card Luv Sue x