Wednesday, December 28, 2011

ColourQ 117 and Less is More 47

To my eye, the color challenge this week at ColourQ just screamed for a CAS card.  And since the ladies at Less is More are all about CAS, I checked out their challenge this week.  They had a pretty interesting one to make a card with just One Word.



The ColourQ challenge invited us to add one color of our own choosing to a combination of black and white.  I just love the adding a bright color to elements of black so I chose Melon Mambo for my card.  I inked up a Verve flower and stamped it off the edge of the cardstock.  (I can't take credit for this idea, because I went to my "binder of sketches" and found the FTL 54 sketch, which I thought was pretty cool).

To make the square outline I lightly drew a square with a pencil (using a piece of cardstock as a template).  Then once I stamped the flower and the sentiment, I went over the pencil marks with a Basic Black marker (using a ruler to keep the lines true).

I actually made this as an A2 card first but decided there was too much white space, so I made this version which is 4 1/4-inches square.  It's much more proportional to the flower and sentiment.

Thanks for stopping by!

25 comments:

Rita W said...

Love it, Jen. The pop of Melon Mambo is perfect!

Chrissie said...

I love that hand drawn frame Jen... they are more difficult to do successfully that it might appear and this is just great.
Super card, the colours are very striking.
Thanks so much
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Sheila in Cyprus said...

Oh wow! This is stunning. I love the 'pop' of colour on the flowers.
Love Sheila x

Unknown said...

Hey, jen! This is so pretty, what a great CAS card with real pop! I hope you had a great holiday, Happy New Year! Thanks so much for being such inspiration in 2011 & for playing with us at colourQ this week! :)

Erna Logtenberg said...

LOVE this card Jen! It's absolute adorable!

Linda Callahan said...

Ahhhhh the simple life! This is simple perfection! Love it! And congrats on making the PPA Best Dressed List for 2011 - twice!! You rock!

Anonymous said...

gorgeous Jeanette!

Mandi said...

Terrific card Jen, perfectly created
Thank you very much, season's greetings
Mandi
"Less is More"

SewSuzySew said...

Love it!

Gery said...

What a beautiful card you made for this challenge.
Simply love it.
Love Gery

Jenni's Jems said...

love this ,the pop of colour and the simple design work so well - stunning x

Sally said...

A great CAS design & brave of you to hand draw the square. I love the off teh edge flower.
Sally x

Sue said...

Another wow wow wow its so beautifull Luv Sue x

Karen Petitt said...

Love this card, so elegant and perfect for LIM karen x

CraftyTeacher said...

a beutiful card!

Sylvia said...

Love your clean and simple card, Jen! Thanks for joining us at the ColourQ this week and Happy New Year.

AmethystCat said...

what a neat card! love the pop of color in the flower in this stunning design!

Nance Leedy said...

This is drop-dead-fabulous Jen! LOVE it! That melon mambo flower is the perfect pop of colour and your hand-drawn box is to die for...I can never get mine to look like that! Fabulous card...happy new year, my friend!

Nance Leedy said...

P.S. OMG, I forgot...congratulations on your two-time PPA Best Dressed award! Well-deserved! (hugs)

Lesley said...

Awesome!

Lynne said...

Fabulous!
Lynne xxx

Bonnie said...

Great job on the frame! Love the bright flower.

Tracey McNeely said...

So CAS and so lovely. Happy New Year!

Terri Trotter Earley said...

This is so graphic and fun!

It's a good life!
Terri E.

Viv said...

Such a beautiful card, well done :O) Viv xx